Sunday, March 21, 2010

Banana Pancakes with Brown Sugar Caramel Pecan Syrup


I think breakfast is my favorite comfort meal. Particularly on a lazy sunny morning, everyone gathered on the porch, with a 'well, what should we do today' attitude. Of course, I work Saturdays. And I live alone. But a girl can dream. So these were eaten, Sophie at my feet with her eyes watching for any teeny tiny morsel that may fall her way. Nothing fell, I ate every bite.
To keep her from gaining weight mind you. I am thoughtful like that.

The pancakes are from here with the pecans added to the syrup adapted from here. That took a hell of a lot of typing to link up so if I screwed it up just go to food network okay?
These were very good and a bit filling. Like I said, I ate all three of them.

Does anyone know the song 'Apples and Bananas'? I think it is from Raffi. Anyways, I used to play kids music all the time in the car when my children were young. I figured if they were happy, then I could drive in peace. I have also worn diapers on my head while I drove to keep them entertained. Yeah, I lost all dignity giving birth. But I do know lot's of kids songs now. None of that crap that they sell on TV and such. Real kids music, Raffi, Sharon Lois and Bram, Taj Mahal, Sleep Sound in Jesus, Reggae, etc.. I used to buy from a company called 'Music for Little People' and a few natural parenting shops. Okay, so I am singing 'I like to eat eat eat apples and bananas', which you use the long form of the vowel going through a e i o u after the first round of singing it normal. Yes this is what I do at 52 in a house with just me and a dog. I know one day the white coats are going to show up. But then as my daughter would say, you probably don't care. I start conversations with cashiers too and they just stare at me and I finally just say 'never mind' and walk away.

Now, where were we? Pancakes. The reason I decided to make these is I had 2 over ripe bananas on my counter. Phew. Hence the banana song.


BANANA PANCAKES WITH BROWN SUGAR CARAMEL PECAN SYRUP

1 1/2 c buttermilk
2 eggs
1/2 t vanilla
6 T melted butter
2 T sugar
2 c flour
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/4 - 1/2 c water to thin if desired
2 very ripe bananas, cut into 1/2" pieces

In a blender add buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and blend.
Add melted butter and sugar, blend again.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Add flour mixture to liquid mixture, blend again.
Pour into a medium bowl and fold in bananas.

Heat a griddle over moderate heat until hot enough to make a drop of water scatter over surface and brush with butter or oil.
Working in batches, drop 1/4 cup measures of batter onto griddle to form pancakes and cook until bubbles appear on surface and undersides are golden brown, about 1 minute.
Flip pancakes with a spatula and cook until undersides are golden brown and pancakes are cooked through, about 1 minute.

BROWN SUGAR CARAMEL PECAN SYRUP
1 c brown sugar
1/4 c water
1 c heavy cream
2/3 c pecans

In a medium saucepan, dissolve brown sugar and butter over medium-med-low heat about 5 minutes.
Add cream, sugar mixture may seize up but continue to stir until blended and thickened. about 10-15 minutes.
Add pecans, stir.
Cool a bit and serve.
Be careful, any hot sugar mixture can burn.



t = teaspoon
T = Tablespoon
c = cup
and for all you unsalted butter snobs out there, I never bother with unsalted butter, most often I just don't add salt or just half, but this time I used salted butter and added salt. So there! Ha!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Yes I know the song well..we used to sing it on the bus during summer camp!!!!
And diapers on the head??? Thats a good one!!!

erica said...

Oh my gosh just found your blog and that looks fantastic!!!!

xo

Natalie Que said...

Oh my God, this looks so good. Take that unsalted butter! I can't even handle it either. It is so weird all of the snobbery involved with USB -it is like they are always telling us to season every layer of the dish right? Salted butter is yummier to begin with, I PREFER using it hands down let alone the hassle of having 2+ butters on hand all of the time...

Anonymous said...

For the syrup, the instructions tells us to melt butter with brown sugar but there is no butter listed in the ingredients. How much should I use?