Tuesday, December 23, 2008

White Peppermint Fudge

Fudge.
Chocolaty. Buttery. Full of nuts, cut into little squares and luxuriously melting on your tongue, slowly pleasuring so many of your senses.
Hot fudge, oozing down the round slopes of cold mint chocolate chip ice cream, fluffy whipped cream lightly pressing itself onto this sensuous embrace of decadence.
These are the visions in my head when the word fudge is spoken.
Yes, brown fudge.
Not white.

I saw these tempting photos though at A Southern Grace of this white wonderful looking treat. It was so pretty it reminded me of layers of white tuille with red sequence trim. And add to that, it is peppermint and I needed peppermint ideas for the plates of sweets for my neighbors. Then I saw the word fudge. What fudge? Where's the brown stuff?


Now I am willing to think outside the box and I have a pretty big box, so I figured I would give this a try. But I am changing the name. Because fudge is brown. Okay, maybe just a little outside the box this time.

This is way easy and the ingredients are a little cheesy (ooh, I rhymed), but at Christmas who really has time for being a food snob? I suppose you could use chopped white chocolate instead of the chips and make your own frosting from scratch to make this, which I may attempt at another time just for fun, but the end result of this recipe is really pretty yummy. I think I like white fudge.
Thanks Grace.

I added butter of course because my brown fudge always has butter, lots of butter, I used extra peppermint extract, and I added crushed peppermints to the white fudge.


WHITE PEPPERMINT FUDGE

12 ounce package vanilla chips
16 ounce can vanilla frosting
1 cube butter, sliced
2 t pure peppermint extract
1/4 c finely crushed peppermints
8 drops red food coloring
crushed peppermint candies or candy canes or a smattering of peppermint sprinkles

Line an 8-inch square pan with wax paper.
Melt the vanilla chips in the microwave.
Using a hand mixer stir until smooth.
Warm the frosting in the microwave for 30 seconds - 1 minute.
Mix into melted vanilla chips.
Add butter slices and mix well.
Blend in peppermint extract.
Lightly stir in 1/4 c crushed peppermints.
Spread the creamy goodness into the prepared pan.
Drip the food coloring over the fudge and swirl decoratively with a knife.
Sprinkle with crushed candies and/or sprinkles and chill until set.
Cut into 1" pieces and share.





9 comments:

Leslie said...

Ohh arent your pretty!! I love that you added butter. isnt everthing better with buddah???
I made these too when I saw them on Southern Grace. However mine were ugly..so not blog worthy, but they tasted yummy!

Anonymous said...

Oh it's so pur-tee! I love it. It would be eye cathching ona platter of brown cookies!

grace said...

nicely done, amber! clearly, everything's better with butter. they're a beautiful treat that taste much better than they deserve to taste. :)

Peabody said...

YUM! You don't see a lot of white fudge around...so festive.

Vera said...

What a delicious treat, Amber!

Merry Christmas and the Happiest Holidays!

Mim said...

Merry Christmas Amber
Good to meet you this year.
Have a good day.
And Sophia too!
Mim

Jacque said...

Now that looks GOOD!

test it comm said...

That fudge looks really good. Nice patterns on top.

Happy new year!

una donna dolce said...

This looks great! What are vanilla chips? Are they the same as white chocolate chips?