Friday, November 28, 2008

Joy to the World


I will be in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, for a week starting on Saturday.
Oh Darn!
Beaches, sunshine, margaritas, fresh prawns and lots of time with my parents and my 3 sisters.
No really, they are twisting my arm, ha ha.

I saw this at Joy the Baker on Thanksgiving and thought it would be nice while in the hotel the night before we fly. So I leave you with this luscious little lovely...

Pumpkin Pie Bars

adapted from Kraft

1-1/3 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) cold butter or margarine
1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats, uncooked
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons bourbon (optional)
a handful of butterscotch or chocolate chips for sprinkling on top (optional)

HEAT
oven to 350°F.
Line 13×9-inch pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides; grease foil.
Mix flour, 1/4 granulated sugar and brown sugar in medium bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Stir in oats and nuts.

RESERVE 1 cup oat mixture; press remaining onto bottom of prepared pan.
Bake 15 min.
Beat cream cheese, remaining sugar, eggs, vanilla, bourbon, pumpkin and spice with mixer until well blended.
Pour over crust; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture and a handful of butterscotch or chocolate chips (if desired).

BAKE 25 min.; cool 10 min.
Use foil to transfer dessert from pan to wire rack; cool completely.

6 comments:

Steph said...

Amber, how did you know I was craving pumpkin bars! I've been on the search for pumpkin bars, but there are so many.. which to choose!

I wish I could go to Mexico and escape the freezing cold. Enjoy your trip!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

How nice of you. Have agreat vacation!

test it comm said...

Those pumpkin bars look so good! Have a great vacation!

Anonymous said...

OMG you are so lucky! Have a great time!

Leslie said...

Well well well..arent I jealous!
Have a wonderful time. But watch out, I hear the natives can be restless! LOL

Ruth said...

Hope you had a lovely vacation. These bars look delicious!