Sunday, November 2, 2008

Garlic Game Hens

Half of me is from the Middle East. It is not so obvious physically, but in how I love and how I..... 'the opposite of love'. It is the feel for family and making children the center and celebrating life. It is probably why I like to feed people. My Grandma always had a cup of garlic soaking in water above the sink, so it would peel easily. When I say always, I am not joking. The kitchen smelled of love and home and safety. We all have memories of our childhood that nurture us even as adults. Garlic is one of mine.

Robin Sue of Big Red Kitchen, posted a recipe for Super Easy Garlic Chicken. It sounded good, but oooohhh, the photo. Be still my beating heart. Now, I have game hens in the freezer not chicken and since times are economically questionable in this country it just makes sense to make do with what I have, right? My daddy would be proud. Make sure and visit Robin Sues blog for the original recipe. She has the cutest caramel apple kit idea also among other great things.

EASY GARLIC GAME HENS

2 cornish game hens, quartered
3 egg yolks
3 huge garlic cloves, minced

3/4 c bread crumbs
3/4 c shredded Parmesan cheese
3/4 t Kosher salt
3/4 t fresh ground black pepper
2 T fresh parsley or thyme, minced

4 T butter
4 T olive oil

In a large ziplock bag, mix the yolks and garlic, add the hen pieces and smoosh around.
Marinate at least 2 hours.

In another large ziplock bag, mix all the other ingredients and set in fridge until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Toss hen pieces in bread crumb mixture until well coated.
In a pan just large enough to fit all the hen pieces, place butter and olive oil, set in oven until just bubbling.
Remove pan from oven and place hen pieces in a single layer.
Bake 18-25 minutes.
As Robin Sue said, it comes out juicy, crispy and tender.
Serves 2-6

With buttered peas and sweet potato fries it made a very nice meal.

7 comments:

Finla said...

The chicken thigh looks as good as it is deepfried, when i saw he pici thought they were deepfried, but then found out they are baked .
About the aple cake, it is calles Wiener Apple cake because it is made in the city in Austria , that is why the name is like that.

test it comm said...

I have not had game hen but this looks really tasty!

Vera said...

What a yummy, crispy bird!

Anonymous said...

It's lovely...yum-o. I too have a love affair with garlic. This sounds delicious.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

The extra garlic on this sounds so good.

Anonymous said...

I like how your instructions say "smoosh around." Made me smile :)

Palidor said...

Oh, those look so good! They look like they're be perfectly crispy outside, but nice and moist inside.