Saturday, February 28, 2009

Baked Pears In Cream


I think I prefer baked pears to baked apples. The taste is a little more delicate. Lighter. I know I like my pear crisp better than apple crisp. And yes I will make it, but another time seeing as I only have 2 pears on hand. This is from one of the Silver Palate cookbooks, either the red or the white one, regular or Good Times, I can't remember because I tore out what I liked best and tossed the rest. I saved a lot so really I may as well have just kept the books then I could even tell you which book.

And now I can't find the actual recipe but I think I have it right. Why did I throw out those books again? Oh regrets, I've had a few, but then again too few too mention...yes it's from Frank.

Okay this is so simple, so fattening but light, and oh so good. Which means yay, who cares, and yum.
4 ingredients.

And do use d'anjou pears, they really work the best, not too firm, not too mush, and great flavor. These are nice because the most work is peeling and coring the pears so it doesn't take much time away from family or friends and they really are nice enough for company.

BAKED PEARS WITH CREAM
From the Silver Palate

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

D'anjou pears, ripe, 1 per person
Butter
Sugar
Cream, yes the good stuff - heavy

Peel the pears, cut in half and core them.
Place them in a single layer, cut side down, in a baking dish to fit how many you are making.
Sprinkle 1 T sugar per pear on top.
Add 1 T butter per pear to pan.
Bake for 20 minutes, basting a few times.
Remove from oven and add 2 T cream per pear.
Bake for 15-20 minutes more, basting again, until the cream is bubbling and thick.
Set pears on serving plates.
Use an immersion blender or regular blender to smooth the sauce if you like, then pour sauce over pears.

If your pears are large or you would like this a little sweeter or more sauce then double the sugar, butter and cream amounts.
You could add a little scraped vanilla bean or vanilla sugar, or a little cinnamon if you like in the beginning.
If you want the cream thicker, remove the pears to serving plates and put the cream back in the oven for a few minutes.
The pears are perfect on their own and don't need ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate, rasberries or caramel etc. but who am I to put limits on you?


Show me love now.

Oh yeah. When it is just me, I lick the sauce.

6 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

They look delicious.

Anonymous said...

Glad you lick the sauce..it's the best part right! Very nice.

Steph said...

Amber, I love your rich desserts. It's so nice to see a real dessert sometimes instead of applesauce muffins or fat free chocolate cake..haha

Anonymous said...

Never even thought of baking pears! My go to is always apples.

Thanks for sharing!

Leslie said...

look yummy gorl...and thanks I am going to bed and now I have that damn Sanatra song in my head!

Vera said...

I love when it's fattening but light :) Sounds delicious!