Monday, February 1, 2010

Butterscotch-Pecan Bars with Caramel Drizzle


Back to after Christmas sales at the supermarket.
I have now worked there for 32 years, 3 months and 16 days.
I remind the world of that statistic quite often.
I sooo need a life!!!
Anyways, there were cookies on clearance for $1.
Not great cookies.
But okay cookies.
I ate a few but they weren't really worth the calories. Like I really care about calories.
I didn't mention I bought 4 containers did I.
I threw the cookies in the food processor, thought of yucky ex's, hit the on button and watched them be ripped and slashed to shreds by the sharp blades of Cuisinart death.
Just kidding.
Or am I?
Makes you wonder, if you are a yucky ex that is.
See, this is why women eat chocolate.
It's chocolate or valium.


These are the unworthy cookies.
But put the crumbs in freezer containers, add butter or cinnamon or maybe finely grated citrus peel, and you have something quite worthy for a great crust for cheesecake, or a base for bar cookies, or buttered and toasted for over desserts, etc. when you need it..
I have done this before with other cookies that just weren't up to par.
I do the same with leftover bread.
Slash and pack.
Where's the chocolate?

Yes, I would rather bake than cook. I like to cook but love to bake. There is more of a reward from baking. It is sort of like when you go shopping for something to wear. Cooking results in an outfit. Baking results in jewelry. I personally would rather be naked wearing diamonds.

Now, I mostly only eat chocolate so how do I describe these?
Short and sweet....
OMG!
MAKE THEM!

BUTTERSCOTCH-PECAN BARS WITH CARAMEL DRIZZLE
Adapted just a little from Chocolatier
32 bars (they say) I say cut them how you want

For the bar cookies
8 T butter, melted
1 1/2 c cookie crumbs
1 1/2 c pecan pieces
1 1/2 t vanilla extract
1 c butterscotch chips
1 1/2 c sweetened shredded coconut
1 c Eagle sweetened condensed milk

For the caramel drizzle
1/4 lb caramels, about 13, unwrapped
1 T plus 1 t milk
1/4 t vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 dregrees.
Lightly coat a 10" x 10" (or comparable) pan with nonstick spray.
Pour the melted butter in the pan and tilt to cover the bottom with butter.
Sprinkle cookie crumbs evenly over butter and lightly press down to absorb butter into cookie crumbs.
Toss the pecan pieces with vanilla extract and then spread over the crumb crust.
Then spread the butterscotch chips over the pecans.
Then the coconut.
Evenly pour the condensed milk over the coconut.
Bake for 30 minutes until light golden on top.
Cool.


For the caramel drizzle.
Place the unwrapped caramels and milk in a small saucepan over low heat.
Cook slowly, stirring once the caramels begin to melt.
When completely melted, blend thoroughly.
Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
With a spoon, drizzle the caramel quickly and lightly over the cooled bar cookies.
Let stand for 1 hour until completely set.


Cut with a sharp knife.
You can store them in an airtight container, preferably in one layer or with waxed paper in between. Or do like I do, leave them in the pan, cover with plastic wrap, keep a fork in the pan and have a bite every time you walk past.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

ohh you are evil...Maybe next time I use my food processor I will think of my bastard ex!!!

abigail said...

holy yum! I have to go to the gym now so I won't feel so guilty when i make this later.

noble pig said...

I'd say it's a great use for clearance cookies, LOL!

grace said...

these are some decadent bars, amber. decadent. they remind me of hello dollies, but even more sinful and scrumptious. bravo, and bravo!