Thursday, August 20, 2009

Broccoli Apple Slaw

I have worked at a supermarket for 31 years, 10 months and 4 days. How do I know this you ask? I know this because it has been 31 years, 10 months and 4 days. Many years ago we read in a newspaper that somewhere the nice young men in their clean white coats took a checker away in a straight jacket to the happy home. Be nice to your grocery checker, it is a tough job.

It is hot and sticky today and I am crabby when I am hot. The day the hot flashes start is going to be one scary look into hell for everyone I'm afraid.

A cool shower, a cool drink and a little white dog. Yeah, that's all I need. And a pool, with a gorgeous man rubbing my neck, and reality is good once again. And to set my alarm for 5am, so I get up for work tomorrow. Oh yeah, and a winning Mega Millions ticket. That's all I need.

Trying to beat the heat, or at least ignore it a little, requires a different plan in the kitchen. Hot ovens just make hot people. Salad, fruit and lot's of fluids do the trick pretty well for me. And ice cream.

I had this at an American Legion dinner and loved it. It is quick and simple. Where it comes from originally? Not a clue. I made a couple changes of course.

BROCCOLI APPLE SLAW

1 pkg broccoli slaw
1/2 bunch green onions, thinly sliced, or 1/2 c of diced red onion
2 apples, julienned, tossed in a little orange juice and drained
1/2 c dried cranberries
1/2 c slivered almonds
1/2 c roasted sunflower seeds
1 pkg ramen noodles, broken up

1/8 c red wine vinegar
3/8 c olive oil
1/4 c sugar
1 t kosher salt
1/2 t fresh ground pepper

Mix the first 7 ingredients.
Mix the dressing and pour over salad.

That was tough huh?

Makes about 6 cups.

You can also add the zest of 1 orange into the dressing

2 comments:

noble pig said...

That sounds yummy.

Leslie said...

Oh girl..that is a long time at one job! Geezzee!
I am always nice to my check out ladies. However there is this one British lady that is just a plain grouch and I try to avoid her line!!!